Sunday, March 1, 2015

Bigger

As I read book three of Native Son I couldn't really find myself to pity Bigger. To me, this was the only way he could see his wrong doings and fix himself, even if it meant death. I understand that his first kill was accidental, but he blew everything out of proportion. His ideas for hiding everything only ended up making him look like a bigger villain (no pun intended.) Now, if Bigger were to feel guilty at the spot instead of trying to make it look like she was never there and he had no part in it, i would've felt compassion. But, it was only after he went on to killing Bessie and finding himself locked up that he began to realize his mistakes. To me, the moment where he realized that he was hurting others and not only himself was where I found him likeable. But i honestly couldn't find myself able to forgive him. I understand his first murder was not intended, but his second one was cold blooded. Not only that, but he saw killing as a way to resolve problems. All I could think off when Bigger was finally facing himself was his mother saying that he will be heading straight to the gallows if he continued his ways, and that's exactly what happened. In the end, I don't really pity Bigger, I actually feel as if his selfish sides and ideas paved his ending. (Except the court had exaggerated by bringing 60 witnesses and adding unnecessary chargers/false accusations)

No comments:

Post a Comment