Sunday, March 29, 2015

My Own Little Rez

I might not live in a reservation like Junior did, but I can relate with some of his issues. When I think about my community i can dive into Brighton Park and the areas around 47th and Kedzie. I can talk about how in school I was bullied, like Junior, and often judged by my neighbors. But this time I would like to focus on a community that can relate the most to this, the one I'm part of Mexico. I was born in a small town in Mexico. In this town everyone knows everyone, and if there is a stranger in town, it would be evident very quickly. Just like Junior, we are very close knit, in a good and bad way. The thing about a small knit town is that there is a lot of taboo and judgement. Similar to Junior wanting to leave the reservation, there are many who want to leave the small town with the hope of succeeding. It's not leaving to america, but more of just leaving the town since its rather small and there really isnt much opportunity for pushing further. There is small groups of people who have given up and just resorted to work in town. Don't get me wrong; there is opportunity, but it's limited to those who have the resources. The other thing about the small town is that if you're different, you're bound to get judged and called names. There have been countless times where I've been called out by people who believe females shouldn't have short hair or wear baggy clothes. There's always the group that will stare and want to beat you up for the way you act or look. But like Junior and his rez people, everyone is there for everyone. When there's a Quince or Wedding everyone is usually there or there's a parade for them. The bride or birthday girl walks from the church all the way down the main road and to the Plaza. Most importantly, when there is a funeral, there is always support from others, even if they hate you, they will help you out and leave you alone if needed, just like Junior's Rez family.

No comments:

Post a Comment